Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gettin' My Stretch On

After getting a very good nights sleep, it's nice to wake up on a quiet Sunday morning and reflect on things. This will conclude the second week of P90X for me and I feel all kinds of changes happening. Not just physically, but mentally as well. I have had such a positive attitude lately and I love how that feels. So instead of resting on laurels, I Pressed Play today.

Day 14 - X Stretch
I actually went into Stretch feeling a little bit stiff. Especially in my lower back. It was catching a little when going into the Sun Salutations. So I just adjusted my position and speed and approached with caution. After that, things got much better as the workout went on. Since this is comprised mostly of stretching and holding, all I really concentrated on this week was extending the stretches and maintaining a good hold them. I'm just gonna highlight the better parts of the workout today.

The Wrist-Forearm Flex stretch really does a number on my wrists, but it felt a little better than last week. Still can't get my hands to go backwards however, that's just totally uncomfortable, I kept them to the sides again. I mentioned it last week, and it's still true: I really love the Dreya Forearm Stretch! Such a good stretch that works the entire arm from fingers to shoulder.

It's not news that Plough is pretty much impossible for me, so I again did my modified version of it which is primarily lying on my back with my head off the floor and my legs raised then opened and held for the duration. I felt a little stonger on the Camel, and came a little closer to doing the Back Hero. I reached back and get my fingertips on my heels! Last week I couldn't even do that.

Although Tony recommends doing this barefoot, I wore my cross-trainers and that came in handy. On the Kenpo Quad Stretch, before I couldn't reach my ankles to bring in the raised leg before. Today I was able to get a finger in the loops on the back of my shoes and used them to pull my legs up. Also did the same thing with the Bow, which was not nearly the comical struggle that it was last week. Now I just need to get better about pulling my chest off the floor more.

The part that really got me going this week was the Ballistic Hamstring Stretch, which is very similar to the Scissor exercises in a couple of the other workouts. I was actaully able to do the entire set with out resting my lowered legs on the floor! I kinda shocked myself, but I went into it thinking I'll try it for as long as I can. It got a little shaky near the end, but neither foot touched the floor the entire time. Very happy about that!

This go 'round I wisely used the wall for balance on the Toe Flexor. That way I was able to completely focus on the exercise. Big difference. When my balance improves, I will get off the wall on this one.

Overall, I came out of this with a similar peaceful feeling that I get from Yoga X. It's a great way to start a Funday Sunday! Plus my back felt MUCH better afterwards.

Hope you have a great Sunday. Here's your song for the day: "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5. Enjoy . . . Week 3 begins tomorrow!!!


:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment