Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Up In Arms!!

So, my legs are still feeling the effects from yesterday's Plyometrics. Of course I was relieved that I would be moving things upstairs to Shoulders and Arms. My upper body has always been weaker than the lower, so I welcome any opportunity to improve it. So let's see how we did on this one . . .

Day 03 - Shoulders & Arms / Ab Ripper X
So I was actually quite eager to get to this one. In the past I've tended to overdo shoulder exercises to the point of popping one or the other and being sidelined because of it. I was reminded of that during the warm-ups. I got a little carried away on the Arm Circles and felt, not a pop, but just a slight . . . pip(?) in my left shoulder. So I knew right away that I'd better be careful. I adjusted my level of enthusiasm and things were fine throughout the rest of the workout.

So here are the numbers. I used the Red Band for all of the exercises except for when they weren't needed (Chair Dips). 2 sets of each were done and listed as follows: "Exercise: Round 1 / Round 2".

Alternating Shoulder Presses: 12 / 13
In & Out Bicep Curls: 15 / 20
Two-Arm Tricep Kickbacks: 14 / 12
Deep Swimmers Presses: 15 / 9
Full Supination Concentration Curls: 12 / 11
Chair Dips: 23 / 19
Upright Rows: 15 / 17
Static Arm Curls: 16 / 18
Flip-Grip Twist Tricep Kickbacks: 18 / 13
Two-Angle Shoulder Flys: 16 / 16
Crouching Cohen Curls: 20 / 16
Tricep Extensions: 4 / 8

Bonus Round:
In & Out Straight-Arm Shoulder Flys: 16 / 16
Congdon Curls: 14 / 18
Side Tri-Rises: 12 Left, 12 Right / 16 left, 27 right

I was pretty proud of myself and quite thrilled to be done at the end of it. And then I heard the music come up for Ab Ripper X. Damn, Damn, DAMN!!! I totally forgot I also had that to do. Pretty sneaky of Mr. Horton to just tack that on the end there. So I took a deep breath and went with it. I was so determined to do better on ARX this go 'round that I forgot to keep count. I just did the exercises with as much gusto as I could. I was breathing so heavily that my roommate came into the room to make sure that I was okay. I assured him I was fine. As fine as one could be in a torture chamber.

Here's a few notes:
Since I did the majority of these exercises with the band, it took some getting used to. At first it was a little awkward. And to make things worse, every time Tony moved on to the next exercise, I had to wait a few seconds into the exercise to see the positioning for the band version. So several times I had to skip back to the beginning of each portion after getting my band and body in the right place.

Except for the band awkwardness, I didn't really have any major issues with most of the exercises. The only real drawback is that I wish I had a lighter strength band to use for some of them. The Red is the lightest of the three that I have. The Deep Swimmers Presses, Two-Angle Shoulder Flys and especially the Tricep Extensions were more of a challenge with the band and a lighter one probably would've been helpful. I may have to look into getting one.

Bonus Round? Sure, why not? Again the band proved to be an issue with the In & Out Shoulder flys. I was unable to get a full extension because the band was to tense. I got about 3/4 of the way up, at least I kept the form as best I could with it. Once I was finally able to get the loop in the band correct, the Cangdon Curls were okay. The Side Tri-Rises were really hard. And on the first go 'round I was lifting with the wrong arm. I thought it felt awkward for a reason. I was using the outside arm instead of the inside one. I corrected it for the second round and did much better.

As for Ab Ripper X. I hate it . . . and I still hate it. But not as much. I made some modifications on some of the positions. Primarily keeping my feet on the floor most of the time. That helped and I was able to get a little more intense with it than the last time. So I may grow to love it . . . . . . . . . in time.

Here's today's song: Cutting Crew's "(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight". See you tomorrow! For Yoga! . . . . . . That should be intersting . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnrIhwc93rA&feature=related

:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment