Saturday, July 10, 2010

Just for Kicks!!

So I had really been looking forward to this workout. Luckily my legs weren't too worn out from yesterdays Legs & Back workout, since I would be using the legs a lot today.

Day 06 - Kenpo X
Well, I have to say that hands down, THIS is my favorite workout! It was a little grueling at the start because I went into it just a bit tired. But once I got going my energy picked right up! Plus, this workout required the least amount of modifications of any I've done so far. So that was sweet! I am happy to say that the only time I would have to pause is to look at the punching or kicking moves to get the positioning and cadence, then I dove right into each one.

I have taken a Kick class before, so a lot of the moves were familiar. The Twist & Pivots, Hooks, Jabs, Uppercuts and Crosses came fairly easy. Periodically I would lose my place from trying to concentrate too hard on twisting and pivoting as I was doing the punches, but for the most part, I kept up with Team Tony.

I will admit that the only major modification I had to do was during the cardio breaks. The "X" jumps were not quite working, so I would either continue the Jumping Jacks, or if that was too much I would do the upper part of the X-Jumps with my arms and side raise alternate legs while calf raising the grounded leg.

When it came to the StepDrag/Hi-Lo Punch, Jab/Cross Switch and Hook/Uppercut Switch, I again had to get my bearings and pay attention to the moves before getting into them. The Knee and the Ball Kicks were pretty self explanatory. Side Kicks, good, but I kept raising up from the horse stance and had to keep reminding myself to stay low. I was starting t feel it on my legs there. The Back Kick started a little wobbly until I got my balance going. On the Three-Direction Kick, I had to tap my foot between kicks or I would have toppled over.

Side Lunge with Sword/Hammer and Step Drag/Claw/Low Punch were quite enjoyable. I loved the quick movement required to do those. I really had to push for them. I also really like the Block section (High, Inward, Outward and Downward). The Star Block was another where I had to watch it for a second to get the movement right while stepping forward then backward.

Then things started to get more intence with Front Shuffle High Block/Low Punch and Knee/Back Kick. I found myself really getting into the grove by this point. then I got thrown off just a hair by the Front & Back Knuckles/Ball Kick/Back Kick. But I was in the zone enough that I picked up the rhythm again and got it done. Same with Hook/Uppercut/Low Side Kick.

It was nice to finish up with some easier, yet still intense moves: The Elbow Series and the Verticle Punches. By this point I was really feeling things going right and ended on a high note and quite a bit of DNA removal. And the best part . . . NO AB RIPPER X!! WooHoo!!!

So, I am definitely a fan of Kenpo X!!! Once I really get the moves down to second nature, I can see this one being the highlight of the upcoming weeks.

And now, today's song in keeping with the theme of the workout: the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald and her lovely version of "I Get a Kick Out Of You"! Please to enjoy . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhqJ_fK1zv8

:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment