Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yo, Ga! Wassup?

The one thing I really like about P90X is that as hard and challenging as the workouts are, if you you really focus and Bring IT everytime, you get better and better at them. I always come into every session wanting to top myself each time. I especially found that to be true with . . .

Day 18 - Yoga X
This felt like the best Yoga X session so far. Better balance, better extensions, longer holds, more sweat, a big win all around! With no pre- and during workout distractions like last week, I was able to jump right in completely focused.

In the Moving Asanas, I was able to hold my Planks and Downward Dogs longer and stronger then before. I was kinda surprised by it, but felt good after realizing what was happening. All of the Warrior Poses pretty much went smoothly. The only issue I still mainly have in this part of the workout is the elevated foot kicking to the Runner's Pose. I still sort of have to get up and adjust my forward foot, but it's getting better. I noticed I was able to get my upward reaches more vertical on the Triangle Poses. The Chair slightly strained my lower back, but the sensation went away when I moved to Prayer Twist. Can't get my elbow onto my knee still, but I got as close as possible and held onto it. Also, I think my hands got a little closer today on the Extended Right-Angle Pose & Grab. Still not touching, much less clasping, but closer. Girth still gets in the way of that. I found myself resting the lower leg on the floor for the Side-Arm Balance. I was better able to stabilize it with that modification. Although I am still far away from getting the full leg extensions on the Standing Splits and Half Moons, I was able to at least raise the free leg this time and hold the pose on one foot for about half the duration. That's some real progress there.

Moving on to the Balance Poses. I somehow managed to do the Tree without falling out of it! On both legs!! I got a little giddy when that happened. The Royal Dancer however is still a huge challenge for me. Still having trouble getting ahold of the raised leg, so I just raise it as high as I can without holding and extending the arms like I've been doing. On the Standing Leg Extension, I was able to unbend the raised leg and hold it for a good chunk of the duration. It wasn't completely horizontal, more like about 45 degrees, but I held it with just a little wobbly action!

Heading to the Floor. Child's Pose instead of Crane again. Seated Spinal Stretch, Cat Stretch, Frog and Bridge were just a little above par from last week. I am also still doing a heavily modified version of the Plough/Shoulder Stand as described previously. Table, Cobbler Pose and Hamstring Stretches were better, too. I actually rached maybe an inch or so further down on my Hamstring Stretches today.

Yoga Belly. Touch the Sky was also better. Legs still not quite vertical, but got them a little higher and kept my arms up for most of the duration. A marked improvement on the Boat and Half Boat, though they were very shaky. On the Scissor, I was able to raise my lowered foot for a few seconds, but had to drop it soon after. The Torso Twist Holds are murder! I had to take a second before going into each one, but managed to hold out to the end of each duration once in the positions. Everything that followed to the end (Side Twist, Glute Stretch, Happy Baby, Child's Pose) are fairly easy, so it was a matter of focusing on the stretches or holds.

And of course my favorite parts: Corpse, Fetal and Medition Poses. I think I actually produced even more sweat this go 'round so I am satisfied that I brought the intensity I needed to in this session. I like Yoga X. I think it's too bad that some people arn't open minded enough about it. I can tell it is really helping build up my balance and flexibility. I saw and felt it to today!

So doing a 180 from the calmness that is Yoga X, today I present the jaunty remake of "The Twist" by The Fat Boys featuring the man himself, Chubby Checker! Have a great day!


:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment