Friday, July 9, 2010

A Leg Up, A Back Up . . .

Coming off of my inaugural Yoga X, I noticed that the soreness from the previous workouts was virtually all gone. I assume the stretching from the Yoga had more than a bit to do with it. I think that's reason enough to Bring It, when it comes to the Yoga. Prior to that, my legs were still on fire from Plyo. But thanx to the post-Yoga reduced soreness, I felt good going into the next workout.

Day 05 - Legs & Back . . . . . and Ab Ripper X
My legs have always been reasonably strong, so I was loooking forward to this one and felt it would probably go well. And for the most part it did. Again, it was all about modification, but I really didn't have to do to much of that this go 'round. We'll review the Leg exercises first, then move on to the numbers for the Back portion of the workout.

The Balance Lunges started a little shaky, but once I got my balance, it was fine. I need to work on my position because my knee was past my foot instead of over it like it should've been. Calf-Raise Squats started off easy, but the burn came on quickly in my quads and hammys. I had to do the Super Skaters with my rear foot on the floor. I attempted to do it with the leg lifted, but it just wasn't happening. Still got a good squat out of it.

The Wall Squat proved to be my nemesis in this workout. I was only able to do it for about 75 or 80 seconds out of the 90. The Step-Back and Alternating Side Lunges went fairly well. The only thing worse than the Wall Squat is the Single-Leg Wall Squat. I had to resort to doing the regular Wall Squat because I could not keep the raised leg up. That was really hard to attempt.

Like the Super Skater, I had to keep my rear foot on the floor with the Deadlift Squat, but I concentrated on keeping my weight on the forward leg. I sort of Dreaded the Three-Way Lunge going into it, but it actually turned out to be probably the most fun part of the workout! I really got in to the lunge-kick motion. I guess because it was sort of a prelude to tomorrow's Kenpo (which I am really looking forward to). The Sneaky Lunges were also fun, even if I had to take a mini-break in the middle of them.

Chair Salutations are my next least favorite of this bunch. I couldn't get very low or get my hands very high, but I held the position almost as long as the planned duration of each. Really felt that one in both the legs and especially the lower back. Toe-Roll Iso Lunges started off tricky, but got better once I got ahold of my balance. The Groucho Walk was a little challenging because, again, I couldn't get very low, but this was probably my second favorite part of the workout. It was just fun to do!

Calf raises are familiar to me so I got through the first direction with no problem. But the other 2 directions were progressively harder to do. I had only done these with my feet angled outward in the past. I had never done them with feet forward (direction 2) and feet pointed inward (direction 3). The last set really put my calves to the test, but I made it to the end. The Siebers-Speed Squat was I think my third favorite part of the workout. It was a bit of challenge being near the end of the workout, but I actually kept up with Tony & Co. and was very proud of myself.

And now to the Chin-Ups/Pull-Ups numbers. Like the previous workouts, two sets of all of these were completed. I used the Red Band for all of these. I will list these in the same format as before.

Reverse Grip Chin-Ups: 13 / 15
Wide Front Pull-Ups: 18 / 12
Closed Grip Overhand Pull-Ups: 16 / 16
Switch Grip Pull-Ups: 20 / 26

I brought quite a bit of intensity to these and think I may be able to move up to Green Band on the next round of these.

Ab Ripper X soon followed. Still hate it. But a little bit less. It's slowly getting better. I still have to modify, but I could definitely see a little improvement. The Seated Bycicle, Leg Climb and Oblique V-Ups saw a slightly better effort on my part. So I am slowly chipping away at loving ARX. Slowly.

Some notes.
Even though I had never been a fan of lunges, I actually quite enjoyed this Lunge-heavy workout. I think having a variety of types of lunges made it less of a chore. So I truly appreciated that. The Wall Squats will definitely be a challenge. It looks so easy on the DVD, but man they are killer!! And one day I shall conquer the Single-Leg version.

So I think the obvious choice to honor this workout would be "Legs" by ZZ Top. Here ya go! Kenpo X is next!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xuir2cpNuQ

:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment