Friday, July 23, 2010

To Legs & Back Again

I had to complete a couple of little projects before hitting the "gym", so again I got a late start. I was SOOOO tempted to blow it off. But I've been doing quite well so far with faithfully hitting every workout so far since starting . . . and there is no point in interrupting the momentum, right?

Day 19 - Legs & Back / Ab Ripper X
I would've felt really bad if I had skipped the workout, especially fter having such a good one! Just like all the other workouts this week, this was the best Legs & Back, so far! For the first time, I was able to keep up with Tony & Friends for I would guess about 80% (oh, let's say 85%!) of the workout!

Covering the Leg portions of the workout first. There were virtually no wobblies on the Balance Lunge, just a slight one after switching legs. Got lower and better extension on the Calf-Raise Squat. Still tapping the foot on the Super Skater, but I managed to keep the free foot off the floor for about a third of the first set. I started off a little higher than 90 degrees on the Wall Squat and then went to 90 when it was time to lower myself. This helped a lot and I was able to stay with it for the whole duration for the first time. I attempted to raise my arms up (using the Red band) on the Step Back Lunge, but could only do it for a couple of reps, then went back to the lower stance. Made it through the Alternating Side Lunges with only 1 tiny mini-break.

The Dreaded Single-Leg Wall Squat is still my nemesis in this workout, but I used the wall and the door knob (I do it against the front door because all of the walls in the living room have furniture in front of them) for a little leverage and that helped me to at least get the raised foot off of the floor. So it wasn't nearly as bad as before. Deadlift Squat was done with the toes of the bent leg on the floor. I attempted to do a few with the foot raised, but couldn't maintain it, so I lowered it back.

I really like the Three-Way Lunge with Kick! On paper that doesn't make sense knowing my past aversion towards lunges in general, but I tend to get a really good groove going on this one. I like the Sneaky Lunges as well, though I had to take one mini-break near the end of the set. I think I have Yoga X to thank for my much improved Chair Salutations. I did have to break out of it briefly, but it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as it was the first time I did them. I really focused on form for the Toe-Roll Iso Lunge and it made a big difference. Much better than last week when I couldn't seem to get the toe-roll part right.

Much better on the Groucho Walk. I managed to get a little lower and maintain the depth for the whole set. Calf Raises were just above par form last week. Really brought some inensity to the super sets! Another proud moment was when I actually went airborne on the 80/20 Seibers-Speed Squat. I completed the first set with no break, but had to take a brief one toward the end of the second. But I was really happy with what I accomplished there!

Now onto the Chin-Ups/Pull-Ups. Still using the Red Band, but moved back another half-ish foot back for more tension. I think I will move up to the Green band on the next go 'round with these. As usual, the difference is in red.

Reverse Grip Chin-Ups: 17/20 -1/+5
Wide Front Pull-Ups: 22/20 +3/+8
Closed Grip Overhand Pull-Ups: 17/20 +2/0
Switch Grip Pull-Ups: 19/25 -1/+5

I brought a litte more intensity to the second rounds of these and the increased numbers I think reflect that, as well as a likely need for more resistance. So we'll try the Green band next week.

Another killer Ab-Ripper X (or as a fellow X-er Anthony Balberchak calls it Ab Crippler X)! Pretty much on par with the last session, but with a slight, but notable improvement on Hip Rock N Raise, Pulse Ups, and Oblique V-Ups. Inching closer to LIKING it.

A good jam for a Friday: Vanessa Williams with "Running Back to You." Kenpo X tomorrow! YEAH!


:^D

No comments:

Post a Comment